While at PAX East, we had an opportunity to get an in depth look at the game Watch Dogs. Yes, the hype train is correct, this game looks to be every bit of awesome that you have seen in previews, sneak peeks and trailers all over. What we saw at PAX, however, was an exclusive look at some of the mechanics within the game and also a little background on the games protagonist, Aiden Pearce.
We were ushered into a small theater, where we saw an introduction video from the team behind Watch_Dogs. They explained how the new system works, what ctOS is and why Aiden can use it to control most aspects of the city around him and also the ways in which you can get around the city. They also explained that players could use the internet and other internet enabled devices to access info and manipulate things in the game. While the presentation was great, the information we got was awesome as well.For all we knew about Watch Dogs, the ARG aspects are something almost completely new to me, although we knew there would be some sort of multiplayer experience that would be involved. Here are the things we know for sure:
- Aiden Pearce has a checkered history, something from his past hurt his family or has put them in jeopardy. He isn’t playing that game, he isn’t afraid to kill.
- The way that you handle situations in the game will reflect in other events and maybe even the ending.
- Aiden Pearce has access to over 30 weapons, not counting his access to the ctOS. There are many different ways to deal with confrontation.
- There are over 65 different vehicles in the game the Pearce can use. Each has it’s own physics and the studio behind the Driver series, Ubisoft Reflections, put the vehicular aspects all together.
- This is real world Chicago, the streets and building will be familiar to those that know Chi-town. Building are more than just decorations as well, yes you can enter them .
- Everything is real time, want to mess with traffic so you can use it to your advantage? Go on ahead!
The other major thing we saw was how everything works together. We saw Aiden track a potential crime victim and stop a crime that could have escalated into a murder. We also saw ctOS respond to the prediction of this crime and send the police out to try to intercept Aiden Pearce as well. In the demo, Aiden used his environment and ctOS hacks to escape the police without casualties. Gameplay itself understandably resembles Assassin’s Creed slightly, with a little free running thrown in.
It isn’t a stretch to consider Watch Dogs to be one of the most anticipated games of this year. With what we saw, it damn well should be.